Well, I hope that you enjoyed reading about my Blackwater Project in its entirety! All four of my swims down the River Blackwater are in amongst my favourite swims of all time. I suppose that the whole experience was that bit more special for me as it was in the Blackwater that I first caught the bug for open water swimming. Both Donal Buckley and Maeve Mulcahy took lots of fantastic photographs on all three stages, so many, in fact, that I couldn’t fit them all into the posts! I’ve put them up on Dropbox for anyone that’s interested, I’d particularly recommend the Cappoquin to Youghal album as it was such a beautiful day and the photographs were taken with a proper camera as opposed to my mobile phone. Here are the three albums:
- Fermoy to Ballyduff (Photographs – Maeve Mulcahy)
- Ballyduff to Cappoquin (Photographs – Maeve Mulcahy)
- Cappoquin to Youghal (Photographs – Donal Buckley)
By the way, the total distance from the start in Fermoy to the finish in Youghal is 60.0 km exactly. The total swim time for the three swims comes in at just under 10 hours! I can only swim at 4.0 km per hour, so that gives you an idea of the average assistance that I got from the River across the three swims.
Where to from here? Will there be more long swims on the Blackwater? I have no plans set in stone yet. I may have a go at another long swim further upriver – there is the possibility of swimming the 30 km from Mallow to Fermoy – or move onto one of the tributaries – the River Bride would be most practical. As well as this, I may organise a race from Cappoquin to Youghal – now that would be interesting – or continue this project along the East Cork coast to Ballycotton where I used to swim with my grandfather on Sunday afternoons during the summer holidays – it would be really cool to have covered all of the water between our swimming spots in Fermoy and in Ballycotton!
I’m going to carry on updating the blog with my swims from this summer for the next while at least. Next up is a three-part report (in Irish first, then English) from my 4th July swim around Cape Clear in West Cork, another “first” swim…
- What to expect in the next few weeks… (FermoyFish.com)
- Blackwater Project: Part 1 – Background to the Project (FermoyFish.com)
- Blackwater Project: Pictorial Addendum to Part 1 (FermoyFish.com)
- Blackwater Project: Part 2 – Fermoy to Ballyduff (FermoyFish.com)
- Blackwater Project: Part 3 – Ballyduff to Cappoquin (FermoyFish.com)
- Blackwater Project: Part 4 – Cappoquin to Youghal (FermoyFish.com)